Friday, March 23, 2012

Chicken Sausage and Veggies

I am always looking for new, easy meals to make. I go through stages where I enjoy meal planning and making those meals and then I go through more frustrated stages where I hate meal planning, shopping, and even sometimes eating haha. It is just so much work and always involves dishes at the end which I hate. During the week we have little time for meal planning, dishes, and extravagant meals. Also, I am bad at coming up with meals that don't involve chicken or ground beef... I guess that's what being college does to you. Anyways, my mom invented this recipe that is super delicious and SO easy and I wanted to share it with you all! Also, it has a variation from the typical chicken and ground beef meals that I feel I make so often.

We call this dish the "sausage with veggies and rice dish" or "sausage and celery stuff". Very original and creative, I know. I will give you permission to call this dish whatever you like. Here is how I make it.

Start a pot of rice. I usually do 2 dry cups with this meal so that we have enough rice for the leftovers too.
Chop 5-6 stalks of celery into bite-sized pieces.
Chop a full onion into bite-sized pieces. (I need to come up with a better description I think.. Bear with me, this is not a cooking blog). Scroll down for a picture of how big my bite-sized pieces are.
Put onion and celery into a frying pan with butter or oil.
Sautee 10ish minutes until celery and onions are almost soft.
While sauteeing, chop sausage into slivers about 1/4" (is that better?). We buy our sausage at Costco. It is a pretty great deal because this one meal  makes about 5-6 servings with 5 sausages. The packs at Costco come with 3- 5 packs of sausage. So it seems a little expensive at first ($13.00) but it goes a long way. You can also use the sausage in spaghetti sauce or... well you get the picture!


Anyways, after 10 minutes add the sausage. It is pre-cooked so all you need to do is warm it up. This will take about 3-5 minutes.


We usually just eat this dish plain but when I made it a few nights ago I added a lot of some Cajun seasoning which gave it a pretty good flavor too. I also think it would be good if it was somewhat spicy. The onions really soak up the flavor well so if you season it, do it while they are still sauteeing.

Then serve over rice and enjoy!


P.S. We also had our first singles ward activity last night! Oscar's night, we dressed up fancy (and matched of course), it was fun. But I'll tell ya, those singles like to party late on a school night. We were up late finishing homework which makes for a tired Leisha.


No comments:

Post a Comment